Re: decentralized wallets and payment processors

I can't comment on whether or not this is out of scope, but decentralized payments systems are inherently superior to centralized payment systems, and they are far more in line with the philosophy of Internet standards, so it makes sense for a standards body to investigate them.

As far as fiat goes, I recommend looking into decentralized exchanges.

There are decentralized exchanges for converting between fiat and cryptocurrencies, and there are exchanges for converting between one cryptocurrency and another.

Links:

https://bitsquare.io
http://mercuryex.com

Cheers,