Re: W3C Workshop on "permissions"

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 20:19:35 -0400
To: Tim Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>, Renato Iannella <ri@semanticidentity.com>
CC: ODRL Community Group <public-odrl@w3.org>, Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
On 08/27/2014 10:48 PM, Tim Holborn wrote:
> I wanted to introduce to the group the Credentials CG[1]. ... I’ve
> cc’d manu - chair of WebPayments, who may clarify further.
>
> Within this sphere of work, is the need to consider aspects
> surrounding Privacy. ... One area i am particularly interested in, is
> the concept of ‘data rights’ or as may otherwise be communicated -
> ‘data safety’.

Just a few quick notes on this:

We are depending on ODRL solving the problem of expressing complex
rights and permissions associated with purchased content for the Web
Payments work.

We may depend on ODRL to express data rights / data safety issues with
credentials (personal data) that are sent to a merchant/payee for the
Credentials work.

Neither the Web Payments nor the Credentials group is focused on the
problem of how to express these complex business rules and
relationships. We haven't done a deep dive on ORDL yet in either group,
but based on previous-to-2.x iterations of ODRL, it seemed as if ODRL
would accomplish simple rights expressions with relative ease.

We have yet to ask the ODRL community group for feedback on a piece of
sold digital content or a credential w/ data rights restrictions because
we haven't had the time to markup an example yet. Unfortunately, this is
low-ish priority for us until we get both the Web Payments and
Credentials up and running in an official capacity at W3C.