Re: Doubt about Wallet as W3C Standard

On 2014-10-28 18:48, Dave Raggett wrote:

> On 28/10/14 16:40, Mountie Lee wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have a doubt about payment wallet as w3c standard.
>>
>> if wallet is implemented inside of browser,
>> will it cause the wallet locked into specific browser?
>>
>> if user initiated wallet in firefox, is the content of wallet viewable
>> in chrome?
>
> That's exactly why the wallet should be decoupled from the browser as I
> proposed in my presentation. We should aim to enable a level playing
> field and avoid giving control to the browser vendor, device vendor or
> mobile network operator, etc.

May I add some historic information here? Some three years ago the WebCrypto WG
tabled the s.c. secondary features (smart cards etc.).

The world including the W3C members did though continue with increased speed and
created things like the world's first "web token" in a new forum called the FIDO Alliance
who in record-time have signed up just about everybody from HW vendors to payment giants.

Very recently Apple introduced their close to revolutionary Apple Pay system.

Anyway, the WebCrypto WG is now finally ready taking on the next step.
According to W3C staff an "input specification" from Google is to be expected soon.

I wouldn't try to standardize anything "payment-ish" before I knew how the
market-leading mobile OS will deal with strong keys on the web, here assuming
that there actually is such a specification in progress.

Cheers,
Anders