Re: WPIG - Deliverables

On 10/20/2014 01:36 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/2014/04/payments/webpayments_charter.html
> "Development of technical standards is not in scope for the Interest
> Group"
>
> Since recommending somebody else's solutions (including WPCG's)
> would be politically impossible, the only realistic deliverable
> appears to be a set of requirements for actors to consider when
> selecting a specific solution.

The deliverables of the WPIG are outlined here:

http://www.w3.org/2014/04/payments/webpayments_charter.html#deliverables

Having been through this process a few times, I can almost guarantee
that the output will look similar to these two documents:

https://web-payments.org/specs/source/use-cases/

https://web-payments.org/specs/source/roadmap/

Those documents will then be taken and handed off to task forces that
will be asked to figure out what set of technologies to put together to
achieve the results. If gaps in the Web Platform are found, new
technical working groups will be created to fill those gaps.

There seems to be confusion around the purpose of the Web Payments IG.
It does not exist to invent or create new technology. Rather, it exists
to define use cases, requirements, and possibly a roadmap. Only after
those items are done will the group be able to analyze if existing
technology could be used, or new technology is required for the Web
Platform. Here's the order of operations:

1. Web Payments Workshop (March 2014)
2. Web Payments Activity Charter Creation (June-Oct 2014)
3. Web Payments IG (Oct 2014-?? 2015)
4. Various Task Forces related to payments/credentials
5. Potentially new Technical WGs for payments/credentials (2015-2018)

We're on step #3 right now, and have a long way to go to get past step #5.