Re: Presentation to Web Payments IG

On 10/18/14 7:57 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> On 2014-10-18 12:40, Joseph Potvin wrote:
>> Market  Share :
>>
>> http://www.businessinsider.com/android-ios-market-share-data-and-apples-iphone-6-2014-8
>> http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/06/android-still-growing-market-share-by-winning-first-time-smartphone-users/
>>
>> Given your friend's comment that "Several of my friends in the
>> payment business here in XXXXX helped Apple design Apple Pay", s/he
>> is apparently a little too influenced by all the unnecessary money
>> that Apple users spend on their devices:
>> http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2013/11/15/android-dominates-market-share-but-apple-makes-all-the-money/
>>
>> No argument from me that Apple devices tend to be more elegant, and
>> also tend to instill more brand loyalty than other makes. That's
>> fine. The rest of the world treats such devices as practical
>> commodity items. Open standards enable consumers to easily do
>> comparison shopping and to jump ship to other brands in an open
>> market. Apple will continue to resist any open standards that make
>> comparison shopping and brand jumping easy for their market segment.
>>
>> The W3C community should not lose sleep over the continued efforts by
>> Apple to loudly distinguish itself from the open standards movement.
>
> There's (AFAICT) no indication that any of the platform vendors or
> payment networks actively support an open standards movement for payments.
> VISA, MasterCard, PayPal and Alibaba are not even W3C members. They
> did however all joined the closed FIDO alliance.
>
> The Google Wallet is still not open source so it seems that payments
> indeed is a pretty "religious" issue.
>
> From my watchtower things look pretty bad.

Open Source != Open Standards. The sooner we stop conflating these
things, the better for everyone.

Neither Google nor Apple are the enemy. The invisible enemy lies
confusion that arises form conflicted narratives, poor terminology, and
dogma.

[1] https://developers.google.com/wallet/ -- Google Wallet APIs .

--
Regards,