Re: W3C officially launches Web Payments initiative

On 2014-10-15 17:30, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Here it is, the moment many of us have been working towards for the last
> 4-5 years!
>
> W3C Launches Web Payments Initiative
> http://www.w3.org/2014/10/payments.html.en

"The Interest Group will first focus on digital wallets, which many
  in industry consider an effective way to reduce fraud and improve
  privacy by having users share sensitive information only with payment
  providers, rather than merchants"

An awesome but also incredibly difficult task.

It is sad that the W3C spend resources on areas which already are owned
by giant players instead of "simply" making on-line payments secure and
convenient.  I don't think you necessarily need a wallet for that, you
rather need to nuke dated stuff like NSS since it blocks progress for
numerous applications (including wallets).

Local payments invoked through NFC could be written as web applications
but what's the point with that if you have a powerful OS like Android at
your disposal?

Anders