Re: Apple Pay - Security Description

On 10/3/14 5:50 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> On 2014-10-03 11:21, Ricardo Varela wrote:
>> I may be missing something here. In my understanding what Apple has
>> done is a (very smart, I give them that) EMVCo compatible
>> implementation. The underlying capabilities are still Visa,
>> Mastercard, AMEX et al, plus the bank network (eg: "the traditional
>> payment industry") - I mean, even the spec was created by them
>>
>> My two cents: I still think its a bit difficult to have lots of
>> groups continue pushing to "create an alternative" over structures
>> that are not working yet, instead of "create a layer over what
>> already works" and then "add an alternative implementation with the
>> alternative". For innovation purposes, yes of course is a good thing,
>> but for practicality/adoption/create momentum, not so much. Apple is
>> big enough that they COULD have done an alternative and chose to do
>> this instead - I may be wrong but maybe its a good thing to check why?
>
> My core message is that it only works well because it is Apple, nobody
> else (of any significance) have implemented tokenization.

Yes, that's true. It is also a very good move by Apple. One to work
with, rather than against.
Apple is using its might constructively, rather than destructively.

> Creating a Decentralized and Webby version of their scheme would be
> great but there's (AFAICT) no push behind that, so for Secure AND
> Convenient payments our alternatives are super-providers like Apple,
> Google, PayPal and Alibaba.

We can make this ecosystem webby and symbiotic. Apple isn't an enemy,
that's the first critical thing to understand en route to a what (I
think) everyone seeks re., decentralized payment system driven by open
standards.

Pondering Apple Coin too :)

Kingsley

--