Re: Loyalty cards - Trust, Privacy, Security and Convenience issues

On 11/02/2014 03:15 AM, Nate Otto wrote:
> I always thought of loyalty cards as a stores offering me deals in
> exchange for being able to connect my purchases together through an
> identity, even if I pay with cash. I bet they'll be used in the same
> way even if the store isn't able to discern as much about the
> ultimate source of the funds used.

The PaySwarm stuff is modeling loyalty cards as just another credential
that you provide before a transaction happens. When a store receives
that credential, they can provide a new discounted offer to you.

How you pay for that offer of sale is orthogonal. From a technical
standpoint, this creates a nice separation of concerns. Each problem
neatly in its own space.

It is also arguable that there are two basic types of loyalty cards. The
first type gives you a flat discount on certain products. The second
type actually accrues and stores "points", which operate as a form of
currency. This latter one came up a few times at last weeks W3C TPAC Web
Payments IG meeting. I'd argue that you really only need the first type
of loyalty card. Modeling "points" as a currency isn't very useful
unless you have an ecosystem for that currency... and most loyalty cards
are attempting lock-in, not an ecosystem.

The PaySwarm stuff supports both, but models them in very different
ways. The first type is a credential, the second type is a currency
(which requires stored value of some kind).