Payment Standard? Was: W3C TPAC 2014 Web Payments IG Minutes (DRAFT)

This was a lot and also quite interesting.

It though confirms my view that there's nothing on the table that could be the foundation for a standard, W3C or other.

Mixing JSON-LD, Security Elements, Wallets (client and/or server), EMV, Bitcoins, NFC, and ISO messaging standards is neither meaningful nor feasible.
That Apple-Pay is an "App" is also a factor to consider.

If we take something related like Google's U2F they did a number of remarkable things:
- Google did not consider earlier efforts and standards like ISO 7816
- Google selected a specific and well-defined problem, completely ignoring other possible uses

If Google had tried pushing U2F through W3C, the project would probably have failed since committees tend forget timing, pragmatism, the 80/20 rule and most of all that life is about learning.

As a comparison I can mention my 7 lost years in TrustedComputingGroup who created the TPM which now is in "zombie-state" only cherished by its originator, Microsoft.
The market (including Intel) have turned to TEEs (Trusted Execution Environments) that can be updated on-the-fly which (for good or worse...) is a prerequisite in an ever-changing world.
This was early on visible on the radar but turning a ship around after *hundreds of millions of dollars* spent simply doesn't work for committees.

Cramming all payment systems into a single API and architecture is a *research project*.

So if the goal still is a *standard* we/W3C need to find something quite simple that still makes a change.
This probably means shelving 90-95% of the stuff currently on the table.
I would also ignore desktop solutions since these platforms develop too slow and are dominated by closed-source operating systems severely complicating third-party innovation.

Sincerely,
Anders Rundgren
WebPKI.org