Re: Informal poll: Identity use cases

On 27 May 2014 05:38, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 05/21/2014 01:58 PM, Evan Schwartz wrote:
> > +1 to all of the use cases listed.
> >
> > Was there any talk of a discovery use case? If I want to pay Manu,
> > how do I find which digital entity I should initiate a transaction
> > with? I'd like to find not only what payment methods he accepts but
> > also some evidence that, for example, msporny@digitalbazaar.com
> > <mailto:msporny@digitalbazaar.com> is owned by the Manu Sporny I know
> > as opposed to, say, manu.sporny@gmail.com
> > <mailto:manu.sporny@gmail.com>.
>
> No, there wasn't really a "discover a payment account from an identifier
> use case". I think the underlying assumption we were making is that you
> would exchange that information out of band (like via a chat channel, or
> a request payment link).
>
> There are a couple of questions that this raises:
>
> What if the person you want to pay doesn't want to be discovered?
>
> An email address would probably provide the best lookup mechanism today.
> Should we allow other identifiers? Should the lookup value just be a
> string? So "~Evan" and "evan@ripple.com" would both resolve to an
> identity?

Identifiers should be URIs ... this is Axiom 0 of the Web.

evan@ripple.com *may* be allowed in the front end, but it should map to a
mailto: address.  However, this is a UI consideration, rather than, an
architectural one.

Discovery on email addresses, if necessary, can be performed with
fingerpoint:

http://buzzword.org.uk/2009/fingerpoint/spec-in.html

Rather than this group opening the identity can of worms for the Nth time.
Why not simply allow anyURI and leave which ones are used out of scope of
the spec.  Then have concrete examples e.g. with http, mailto, bitcoin, tel
etc.

In this way all use cases can be modelled in a webby way.  And I think
people are going to do this anyway ...