Re: Web Payments Interest Group Charter draft ready for review

I'd like to add a thought along the lines of Stephane's comments (and
I hope he will correct me if what I say is inconsistent with what he
and the W3C team have in mind).

Although the W3C's membership includes companies with a diversity of
business perspectives, my own frame of reference on the topic of
role-based access to project decisions is based upon this collection
of sources about the "Foundations of Free/Libre/Open Works Management"
the I and others have been assembling:
http://osi.xwiki.com/bin/Projects/draft-flow-syllabus#HFoundationsofFLOWManagement

An industry standards body such as the W3C has a formal mandate from,
and a formal responsibility to, the members of the consortium who
guide the scope, substance and quality of the recommendations it
issues. While it is closely linked to the free/libre/open way, I
reckon it should not be expected to operate entirely as if it were a
free/libre/open project foundation like, say, the R Foundation or the
Apache Foundation. This is not a criticism, it's just a recognition
that it's a different sort of entity. It shares some but not all the
characteristics. My impression is that the staff of the W3C as a
industry standards consortium have a greater direct role and
responsibility for the scope, substance and quality of its outputs
than is the case with free/libre/open software foundations, which are
essentially facilitators in various ways.

Adding on top of that, the fact that the functional realm of web
payments is already heavily populated with incumbents that span the
range from the most powerful financial institutions on the planet to
the tiniest of start-ups, the balancing act that the W3C staff have to
accomplish if the organization is to host the development of a
standard on this topic is about as complex a negotiation/coordination
job as can be thought up.  Issues regarding openness/closedness of
participation should of course be raised when an stakeholder has a
concern, but it's useful to do so together with an appreciation of the
full stakeholder environment that the W3C exists within.

Joseph Potvin

--
Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations