Re: Web Payments Interest Group Charter draft ready for review

On 05/15/2014 01:34 PM, Steven Rowat wrote:
> On 2014-05-15, at 6:28 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
> wrote:
>> The option to run the payments work in a closed group, except for
>> the publication of drafts, is now on the table. This is concerning
>
> +1 Where is this proposal made? I can't see it in the links you sent.
> The IG is so far listed as Public. ?

"""
I would be happy to know if the payment industry is more likely going to
be interested in working in public or internally as a closed group and
query the community on regular basis through the publication of draft
documents.
"""

In the last bullet item in the list here:

http://www.w3.org/community/webpaymentsigcharter/2014/05/15/first-draft-of-future-web-payments-interest-group-charter-published/

> But IMO It already looks from the proposed Charter that the various
> forms and arms of the existing financial services industry are being
> overly recognized and served by the IG, with 'users' tacked on at
> the end as sort of an afterthought, as if a revolution in the way
> finances are carried on isn't going to happen. That may be true, but
> it may not.

Part of this could be fueled by the W3C wanting to attract as many new
members as it can into the work. Keep in mind that W3C is going to have
to bring on a couple of big members if this work is going to proceed.
They need these new members because 1) there is a lot of work to be
done, and W3C needs the money to accomplish that new work, and 2) we
need to make sure that we have solid representation from the payment
industry and that they're interested in implementing this stuff that
we're proposing. If the option is not getting them onboard and not
starting the work vs. getting them on board and running the work in a
closed fashion, then that's going to be a hard decision to make for W3C.

That said, I think it would be a disaster for W3C to run the official
work behind closed doors. There should be enough organizations that want
to run this work the way W3C runs most all of its other work; in full
view of the public.