Re: Using block chain protocols for www micropayments and rights management

On 14 May 2014 09:58, Poor Richard <poor.ricardo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello RWW and Web Payments CG,
>
> Can bitcoin-style block chain protocols support an alternative form of
> intellectual property and personal data management?

Yes.

See: [1] [2]

For example, whenever we create social media content or provide personal
> data, our authorship/ownership of that digital material and the publishing
> transaction might be documented via some block chain protocol. Besides a
> "timestamp" any thing we post might get an automatic "authorship" stamp
> (and optionally an ownership rights stamp) that would follow that data
> forever.

In theory, the encryption schema used to protect film [3] could support a
block-chain based alternative. in such a use-case, DCI equipment currently
has an ID Embedded in the server and the projector.  These could in-turn
(in future) be linked to a 'wallet' that provides a 'WebCredit' type
mechanism for unlocking the Film Package. (it's also embedded in the film,
so being 'web-scale' it could be used more broadly too...

What about a similar approach to micropayments?

+1 would be nice to attribute to a foaf:person when they've done good
work...  perhaps an alternative means to attributing merit, rather than
simply seeking educational qualifications in a specified area.  Some
research i undertook a few years ago, showed that many leadership
identities, did not have qualifications within their specific domain of
profession / the role they carried out.

> Both of these applications would beg the question, what is the minimal
> viable block chain for the level of security required -- becuase the number
> of transactions might be in the billions per day.

RWW Coin significantly enhances the transactional capability.  Melvin can
chime in and describe this in more detail.  If a Bitcoin / Block-chain
eco-system is used to store cash (as a primary / currency methodology) then
the systems become more vulnerable to 51% attacks [4].  Whereas if they're
used as 'stamps' which can then be pegged to real-world assets (or digital
assets for that matter, like trying to send registered (e)mail; or define a
priority date based on a document / datapackage with a type of content
aware signature.

However it's only one part of a broader solution.  RDF is arguably more
important.  Even if a letter has a stamp on it, doesn't mean the letter
itself contains anything of use to anyone.

[2] http://storj.io/
[3] http://www.dcimovies.com/
[4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2thGzzNSs