Re: Internet Identity Workshop #18

On 5/12/14 2:15 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> On 2014-05-12 03:54, Brent Shambaugh wrote:
>> Hello RWW and Web Payments CG,
>>
>> I just spent last week at IIW #18 and some thought that it would be
>> great if there was some more W3C involvement.
>
> I think there is a general misconceoption about how successful
> standards are created and also the
> importance of standards.  Windows is not a standard but still have
> some 90% of the desktop market.
>

>> There was a demo of cimba.co <http://cimba.co> and some tackling of
>> FOAF+SSL and WebID. '
> > Some shared the views about certs and the browser experience. Maybe
> this was just me and another or so.
>
> I thought the situation is that the WebID folks still toil with the
> idea that the browser vendor
> need to fix the TLS UI

When you speak of browsers you need to be specific. Each browser offers
a different experience re. TLS Client Certificate Authentication (CCA).

IE:
It has no issue as a user can simply create a new session. This is
basically a menu option.

Safari:

As I indicated to you last week, TLS sessions are terminated when the
session is deemed idle, based on inactivity.

Chrome on Windows or Mac OS X:
Doesn't offer either option above, so you have to restart your browser.

Firefox:

You can log out and then login to TLS sessions using Javascript.

Opera:
Like chrome, you have to open a new browser session.

> while Web Payments have given up on WebID-TLS and replaced it with
> identitiy-credentials?
>
> And then there is yours truly who believe that the WebID-TLS thing
> should be redesigned so that it
> follows proprietary X.509 schemes have already have FOUR MAGNITUDES
> more users than WebID-TLS, but
> of course using an open (eventually standardized) solution.

I don't have any issue with WebID-TLS be open to other schemes, by way
of loosely coupling etc..

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen