Re: Review Request for third draft of "Signing HTTP Messages"

On 8 May 2014 23:41, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> After feedback from Mark Nottingham[1], Julian Reschke[2], folks in the
> HTTP Auth WG, and people in the Web Payments CG, we've modified the HTTP
> Signatures specification in the following ways:
>
> 1. The specification has been renamed to "Signing HTTP Messages".
> 2. The specification now covers both a signature-based Authorization
>    mechanism (client-to-server) as well as a general mechanism to sign
>    HTTP messages (client-to-server and server-to-client).
> 3. A new "Signature" header has been introduced.
> 4. The layout has been modified heavily to streamline the information
>    conveyed in the spec.
> 5. New registries have been created for the algorithms referred to in
>    the specification.

Thanks for updating this, it looks great.

One thing, I'm slightly confused as to how algorithms should be specified.

For example: SHA256

Appears in the document and both lower case and upper case.

It also appears both with a hyphen and without a hyphen.

I'm also currently using sha-256 as specified in RFC 6920

I'd like to start using things like ECDSA signature as defined in crypto
currencies, but I am finding it challenging to find an easy to spot pattern
in the naming.

Any guidance would be appreciated.