Re: Web Identity spec renamed to Identity Credentials

On 3/16/14 2:59 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> The poll to rename the Web Identity spec closed Friday night at midnight
> ET. Here are the poll results after they're combined w/ Kingsley and
> Michael's mailing-list based suggestions:
>
> Web Credentials           3
> Identity Credentials     15
> Open Credentials          1
> Verified Credentials      1
> Web Identity Credentials  1
>
> The details are attached as a PDF summary of the poll and a CSV file
> outlining each vote. The website and specification title have been
> updated to match the consensus reached via the poll:
>
> https://github.com/web-payments/web-payments.org/commit/0c0f8bdc2ab2dedabd60149f7801ea3e2abd1a72

Web Identity Credentials and Identity Credentials aren't different, from
an intent perspective. I added "Web" because this is a W3C community
effort, and because the W3C handles open standards specs for the World
Wide Web. It's the same reason why we have WebID (HTTP URI that denotes
an Agent) and not NetID (a de-referencable URI that denotes an Agent),
for instance.

The "Web" part is implicit, due to work scope and eventual vehicle for
publication i.e., the W3C.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen