Re: "Web Identity" -> "Web Credentials"

On 3/14/14 10:21 AM, Dave Longley wrote:
> On 03/13/2014 11:37 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 3/13/14 10:03 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
>>
>>> Primarily, let's stop using them because they don't line up
>>> with the standard English definition, which is going to confuse Web
>>> developers.
>> And what would you say to the Chinese, French, German, Spanish, and
>> other non English speakers? The Web is not the "World Wide English
>> Language Web". There are reason for that, and it goes back to the
>> subject, predicate, object triple. All the aforementioned natural
>> languages are notations for the same abstract language [3].
> "Agent" is an English word. If we were talking about a word from another
> language, it would be best to use the definition from that other
> language as well. I believe that's the point being made here.
>
> -Dave

Dave,

An Agent is a term that denotes a concept. The concept in question
natural language notation agnostic. English is one of many natural
language notations.

FWIW: The definition of an Agent in all the English dictionaries I've
looked up doesn't conflict with the notion of a foaf:Agent as described
in the FOAF vocabulary. And by the way, putting FOAF aside, what does
the term "Web Agent" denote?

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen