Re: Push Payments

Thanks for taking the time to read through.
Some very valid comments which I'll incorporate into the next version.

You point re subscriptions is spot-on. This is a more complex scenario
which needs to be considered and I think the PaySwarm approach is the right
one.

I will disagree on the card fraud point.
Having worked in a payment processor I can tell you that their number 1
fear is being taken to the cleaners by a syndicate with a shoebox full of
cloned cards before anyone realises what is happening.
The merchant has been settled and disappears before the fraud is detected
and the processor is left carrying the bill.

Also, bare in mind that the need to compensate for the risk of chargeback
fraud prevents many small businesses from even getting off the ground.
For many their business model is a function of their transaction fees and
risk and the current levels of both make the business unviable.
So maybe they don't go out of business, they simply never start doing
business.

The key things that push payments remove from the equation are the need to
hand over identity credentials and the elimination of chargeback risk.
Charge-backs are like that eerie music in horror movies to a small business
that accepts payments via cards and operates on tight margins.
One targeted attack by a card theft syndicate and it's game over.

The card associations are very protective of the consumer (great) but at
the expense of the merchant in many instances.
(If not directly by hanging them out to dry when they are the victims of
card fraud, indirectly by charging them massive fees to compensate for this
risk).

+1 on the "flip the industry on it's head", emotive language is probably
not a great idea :)

My opinion on the "big players", especially the card companies, is that
they can view this as a threat or an opportunity.
They own the most extensive and mature inter-bank networks which they could
easily leverage to offer push payments.
Alternatively they can fight this by using influence at commercial and
national bank levels to try and maintain the status quo.
I suspect this is what you have already seen to some extent?