Re: Proof of Concept: Identity Credentials Login

On 06/11/2014 07:38 PM, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
> I read your blog post about this and I was wondering... Can you
> explain why you think this is better than Open ID Connect or what is
> missing/broken from OpenID Connect that this provides/fixes?

Here are the advantages over OpenID Connect:

* Based on an extensible data model (RDF/Linked Data) that doesn't
  require coordination to extend what can be placed in the messages.
* Based on a extensible syntax that supports Linked Data (JSON-LD).
* Does not require you to use your email provider as you identity
  provider (enabling better competition / level playing field).
* Privacy-aware, protecting you from organizations that would like
  to track who you send your credential information to.
* Provides a framework to exchange 3rd party proofs-of-identity
  beyond the simple examples in the OpenID Connect spec.
* Less complex than the OpenID Connect technology stack.

There are a few more, but those are the highlights. That's not to say
that OpenID Connect is bad, just that it doesn't go far enough wrt. data
model flexibility, protecting your privacy, and simplicity.