Re: Analysis of Bitcoin by Former IMF Economist / Current Central Banks Advisor

On 26 January 2014 03:44, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:

> [Tanential to the web-payments topic, except in terms of considering how
> medium-of-exchange volatility is to be handled...]
>
> RE: "volatility being inherently terminal" + " when a store has a "50%
> sale""
>
> Melvin, If you say that, then do you stand with the governments of Finland
> and China who have determined that BTC is a virtual commodity, not a type
> of money?
>
> http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-19/bitcoin-becomes-commodity-in-finland-after-failing-currency-test.html

No strong opinion on this one, but satoshi had some interesting insights
here:

[[
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583.msg11405#msg11405

As a thought experiment, imagine there was a base metal as scarce as gold
but with the following properties: boring grey in colour, not a good
conductor of electricity,not particularly strong, but not ductile or easily
malleable either, not useful for any practical or ornamental purpose, and
one special, magical property: can be transported over a communications
channel.

If it somehow acquired any value at all for whatever reason, then anyone
wanting to transfer wealth over a long distance could buy some, transmit
it, and have the recipient sell it.

Maybe it could get an initial value circularly as you've suggested, by
people foreseeing its potential usefulness for exchange. (I would
definitely want some) Maybe collectors, any random reason could spark it.

I think the traditional qualifications for money were written with the
assumption that there are so many competing objects in the world that are
scarce, an object with the automatic bootstrap of intrinsic value will
surely win out over those without intrinsic value. But if there were
nothing in the world with intrinsic value that could be used as money, only
scarce but no intrinsic value, I think people would still take up something.

(I'm using the word scarce here to only mean limited potential supply)
]]

> Sure, the prices of goods and services are supposed to rise and fall with
> a vendors strategies and tactics in relation to supply and demand. But the
> "prices" of currencies are not supposed to do that, rather they are
> precisely supposed to NOT do that. Because in a well-functioning and
> efficient market for goods and services, autonomy over goods and services
> prices vests with the vendors of those goods and services, not with the
> programmers of forex algorithms and other speculative instruments who have
> nothing to do with those vendors.
>
> Sure, in today's forex market the whole point of the "Speculation Use
> Case" is volatility. But the forex market as we've come to know it since
> the early 1970s is not serving the economic purpose of facilitating the
> "Goods and Services Commerce Use Case".

On volatility, I have no idea if it's good or bad for bitcoin, but I
suspect that if bitcoin grows, it will become less volatile.