From: Joseph Potvin [mailto:jpotvin@opman.ca]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 10:09 AM
To: Web Payments CG
Subject: Re: Two wording changes to eliminate ambiguity

Here's an example of a problem that can be resolved through the availability of benchmarked pricing:
http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Currency+surcharge+added+winter+vacation+packages/9425567/story.html
Some consider that "nobody else on this list is asking for benchmarked pricing".  But here's what I ask myself:

1. Who benefits from such ad hoc pricing "surcharges" applied in hodge-podge manner?  Anybody at all? It seems to me that this ad hocism just creates unnecessary complexity and uncertainty in a market.
2. Which scenario is preferred for a web payments standard?

(a) A web payments standard that does not include a spec for price benchmarking will thus by default require that both algorithmic and ad hoc adjustments MUST be handled in diverse ways by implementers of the standard, since there will be no standard-compliant way to handle them;

(b) A web payments standard that does describe a spec for price benchmarking will enable the possibility that both algorithmic and ad hoc adjustments MAY be handled in a common and transparent way, for any vendors that choose to do so.
Thoughts anyone?
Joseph Potvin