Re: Ideas on initiating standard for In-App Payment?

On Jan 16, 2014, at 3:47 AM, "Huang, Deqing" <deqing.huang@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In-app Payment(IAP), or in-app billing enables developer sell digital goods from inside their applications.
>
> It is widely supported in modern web app platforms, for example:
> ü  iOS:           https://developer.apple.com/in-app-purchase/
> ü  Android:   http://developer.android.com/google/play/billing/index.html
> ü  FirefoxOS: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Marketplace/Monetization/In-app_payments
> ü  Tizen:        https://developer.tizen.org/add-on-sdks?langredirect=1#in-app-purchase
>
> And nowadays more and more web apps are free to use, they tend to depend on IAP service to make profit.
>
> Do you think it is time for initiating standard for IAP? Any thoughts, ideas on this?

As I understand it, this group is working on exactly that.

What may be confusing is that "apps" are not necessarily "on the web" but every in-app payment solution listed above requires an Internet connection to process/verify the payment. In this sense these in-app payments are technically the same thing as web payments.