Re: Suggested Revisions to Introduction to Web Payments Charter

Oops, that previous edit was not on the Web Payments charter... that's the
landing page for the Web Payments CG. Same point, though: validation or
push-back on the revisions I've made.

Ditto now for edits made to the "Goals" section of the WP-CG Charter:
http://www.w3.org/community/webpayments/wiki/WebPaymentsCommunityGroupCharterProposal#Goals

Let me comment on a few of my suggested revisions:

1. The Goal section now has a specific and referenced statement of the W3C
process goal, with direct links to the appropriate process sections of the
W3C Process Guide.

2. Language relating to "patent-free" / "royalty-free": There *can* be
defensive patents in prototyped (and later reference implementation)
solutions
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/06/defensive-patent-license-and-other-ways-beat-patent-system
The new language is consistent with the W3C policy on patents, found here:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/

3. On this list there's been some discussion of the word "technologies". In
these edits I used the word "solutions" instead. The reason is that
sometimes a use case is addressed by means other then technological (eg
through information enabling the user to do something, rather than
automatically doing it for the user).  I don't know if there are definite
preferences amongst CG members and for principal author Manu about this
particular word choice.

Regards,

--
Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations

<http://goo.gl/Ssp56>