Re: Web Payments CG Charter Proposal

RE: "the actual development of decentralized technologies"

This is just a problem arising with use of the word "technologies". Under
copyright legislation in all countries, and in all international agreements
that touch on this matter, computer programs are a type of "literary work"
under the Berne Convention.  Source code exists as  “a set of instructions
or statements, expressed, fixed, embodied or stored in any manner, that is
to be used directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring about a
specific result".

That means an expression in C such as:

#include
int main()
{
std::cout << “Hello, world!\n”;
}

. . . or in Ruby such as

for i in 1..1
puts “Hello World!”
end

...each have the same essential characteristics in law as the English
statement in pre-formatted text, such as:

Print: ?Hello World!?

If the Web Payments Community Group expresses some of its recommendations
in natural languages and other of its recommendations in computer
programming languages, it's all the same class of thing as literary works.

RE: "an openness to both proprietary and open source solutions"

Any standard is (supposed to be) neutral to business models.  Any reference
implementation of a standard is most reasonably licensed under a permissive
license (eg X11/MIT) which enables it to be easily adapted into both
restrictive and free/libre solutions.

Joseph Potvin

--
Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations