Re: Distinctions between Payments CG, Payments Workshop, and web-payments.org

Hi Manu,

I think you are right in refusing his broad request - quite clearly, a leading player in the field of centralized, traditional payment services is likely to regard innovation as a potential threat.

However, I think he makes two points that we should address:

1. We need a "meta-architecture" and document that makes clear that for payment, as for any other component of the Web, there is and will always be variety and choice, i.e. that the CG is not aiming at standardizing payment per se on the Web; just providing frameworks for innovation. My impression is that the current message could be interpreted as stepping onto existing territory. That causes hefty reactions and is unnecessary for innovative approaches. Let traditional users be happy with Paypal and credit cards, and let Payswarm and Bitcoin and other approaches gradually complement the array of choices.

2. He is right that claiming to address the issues of security and identity as a whole at Web scale is way outside the abilities of a CG, WG, or even the W3C as a whole. People who work e.g. in credit card fraud detection can tell you that this is an area where standards bodies like the W3C have very little to contribute to a real solution, same as a W3C WG on "Malware Protection" would likely contribute little to protecting people from malware. This is simply because the challenge in both cases is the quality of execution and the optimization of implementations rather than the standardization of interfaces.

Of course, one could argue that this is true for Web payment in general.

So the scope should be reduced to the realistic core of the challenges addressed with the available resources, and the links to other fields should be made explicit.

Martin

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen