Re: Taking on Google/Apple? Re: Apple AppStore revenues - 85%+ come from games

I think it's important to be honest here in assessing in-app payments.
The reality is you pay the marketplace owner a fat sum to sell via their
marketplace because their's is the only marketplace for whatever platform
you are using (if not then certainly the biggest and most popular).
i.e. If you use an Apple device you buy your apps via Apple, likewise for
Google and the Play Store, Microsoft and the Windows Store etc

If you try to list an app in one of these marketplaces that attempts to
circumvent the built-in payment processing systems your app will generally
be removed from the market for contravening the terms.

So, while I think in-app purchases should certainly be on our agenda (as
should any purchase made using Web technology but not via a traditional
browser) we must accept that there will need to be a parallel movement of
app users toward open and alternative markets for these to be widely
adopted.

I consider the scenario of the large marketplace owners adopting this new
technology in a way that prevents them being cut-out much more likely than
them simply opening the gates and allowing content producers to take
payments how ever they like and still be listed in their marketplace.