Re: Update: Five Attributes of Payment

On 31 August 2014 19:15, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:

> Comment invited...
>
> My paper to the April workshop in Paris focused on three attributes of
> payment. http://www.w3.org/2013/10/payments/papers/
>
> Further discussion and research on this topic (including research in
> economics and law towards my doctoral dissertation at U Quebec), as well as
> consideration of various ideas raised on these lists, has led me to include
> five attributes.
>
> Below is a concise (draft) statement of the scope of my dissertation which
> lists five attributes of payment that are subject to determination either
> by the payees and payers themselves, or by payments intermediaties and
> law-makers. The issues raised here are equally relevant to the scope of a
> W3C payments specification as they are to the model I'm in the process of
> developing as a free/libre/open extension to MASON > Lagom > regiO [1]. The
> dissertation work (incl the excerpt below) is licenesed CC-BY 4.0, and all
> related software components and dependencies are under various
> free/libre/open works (FLOW) licenses.  (What I'm posting here is also
> dual-licensed now under the W3C Community Contributor License Agreement.)
>
> I share this for consideration towards the emerging web payments
> specification, and of course I invite any feedback, advice and
> collaboration towards the development of the modeling extensions, which can
> be a useful platform for web payment specification scenarios testing well
> beyond the particular questions I am focusing on.

Thanks for sharing.  I'll give my understanding of the answers to your
questions, but it's just my opinions ...

> ***
>
> "The present research is concerned with the following compound question in
> the realm of payments:
>
> *Are **fair and efficient market operations, **and** open market system
> integrity, **enhanced or eroded **whe**n **project managers **are* *free
> to exercise choice in **specifying* *through **their contracts, **all**
> attributes of payment? *
>
> The scope of this research project is to develop an analytical structure
> and some extensions to a formal model to test this question in relation
> to five attributes of payment. Each of the five are identified (underline) and
> illustrated with sample considerations as follows:
>
>    1.
>
>    *S**cal**ar **quantity* (e.g. 10.99; 0.0001099—*Can the parties *
>    *specify* *micro payments **to **their** chosen** number of decimal
>    places**?*) *Can **contracting **parties **to **implement **algorithmic
>    pricing **to their chosen specifications**? *;

Yes.  xsd decimal is arbitrary precision

http://www.datypic.com/sc/xsd/t-xsd_decimal.html

>    1.
>
>     2.
>
>    *U**nit-of-account* (e.g. $ £ € ¥ etc.—*Are contracting parties free
>    to **price and pay in** their **unit**s* *of choice? **Can the unit**
>    of payment** be **one that is self-defined** by the contracting
>    parties, and/or **can it be from a non-traditional provider**?**)*;

Yes currency is anyURI or a 3 letter ISO code.

>    1.
>
>     2.
>
>    *V**alue-in-exchange benchmark* (e.g. WM Reuters Spot Exchange Index;
>    Purchasing Power Parity Index; Commodity Index; Earth Reserve Index, etc.—
>    *Can** contracting parties benchmark **the scalar quantity of **payment
>    to **any** market factors they deem to be relevant **to the **duration**
>    and **object** of the contract**?*);

If someone can create a URI out if it then sure.  Indexes are not always
100% accurate tho.

>    1.
>
>     2.
>
>    *Transaction** depositories* (eg physical wallet; digital wallet;
>    digital bank account, etc.—*Do contracting parties have the ability to
>    decide **upon and control **the origin and destination nodes for their
>    payments?*); and,

Source and origin are again anyURI so it can be anything.