Re: Use cases updated w/ glossary and roles

On 08/01/2014 10:32 AM, Joseph Potvin wrote:
> Though I didn't click into a versy busy NASCAR Problem discussion
> thread a little over a month ago, I presume someone must have
> commented that its a very common approach on complicated work/play
> sites that key fields default to something for those who don't
> understand or prefer not to deal with complex considerations. And yet
> these defaults can be changed by the user though a Preferences page
> or via some other simple procedure.

Nope, that doesn't address the NASCAR problem. The NASCAR problem
surfaces because the site displaying the options to you has no prior
knowledge of you. In order to set a preference, the site has to have
prior knowledge of you (you had to have set the preference in the first
place).

The NASCAR problem is about how to solve the problem of transmitting a
preference to a website that has no prior contact with you. It's a
"first contact" problem.

So, while what you propose is perfectly fine, it's important that we
don't conflate it with the NASCAR problem, which is different.

The solution to the problem that you're talking about falls into the
payment processor's realm. You can set a preference w/ your payment
processor to "use these value-exchange benchmarks in this order". So,
whenever a purchase request comes into your payment processor, it'll
automatically make the selection for you. That's a perfectly reasonable
way to address the problem, but one that we don't have to spec out.