Re: Range of Security : Nonce

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 21:33:33 -0400
To: public-webpayments@w3.org
On 04/23/2014 05:41 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> May I ask how a receiver is supposed to understand what the actual
> coding is? Is coding a part of the message as well?  Seems a bit
> complicated in my opinion.

The coding (I'm assuming you mean things like byte order and endianness
when you say 'coding') are a part of datatype. For example:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#hexBinary

> If there are no other constraints (which I know nothing about), I
> would select either string or base64.  Base64 is simpler since UTF-8
> characters are somewhat difficult to deal with since they can be 1-3
> bytes long.

If we used base64, we'd probably use this.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#base64Binary

I believe, for the nonce, we decided on:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#hexBinary

For the signature data, I believe we decided on:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#base64Binary

Discussion about it is here:

https://web-payments.org/minutes/2014-04-23/#90