Re: Semantic web - web-payments website.

On 04/11/2014 01:49 AM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
> On the front page of that sight, have something perhaps headlined
> (like products, transactions, etc.) that says something like
> "semantic web", then described by stating something along the lines
> of "the premise of the web-payments specification is to incorporate
> semantic web requirements into a functional specification for the use
> in commerce",

-1

We have very purposefully avoided the "semantic web" terminology because
it is reviled by many outside of the Semantic Web community. "Linked
Data" seems to be a phrase that people like, so we use that.
Additionally, it is a means to an end. It's just plumbing behind the
wall that most people don't need to know about unless they're actually
working on this stuff. So, while we may want to link to a video and
describe it in more detail, we shouldn't put too much focus on it
(because not many people care that we're using Linked Data).

We're using it because it solves a problem, just like we're using HTTP,
REST, HTML because they solve specific problems.

> Perhaps an introduction to "semantic web" (given in-part we need the
> eyes and ears of commercial stakeholders, so using mkt. Language is
> also needed, to give some understanding around why we're bothering to
> revisit the concept of web-payments standards..)

Agreed, we've tried to do this before:

What is Linked Data?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x_xzT5eF5Q

What is JSON-LD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vioCbTo3C-4

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/04/web-payments-with-payswarm-identity-part-1-of-3/
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/04/payswarm-part-2/
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/04/web-payments-with-payswarm-purchasing-part-3-of-3/

The question is - why didn't those have the effect that we wanted?

> I'm particularly interested in business cases that relate to data,
> rather than commerce.

Data (especially in offers and digital receipts) is a big part of what
we're doing. You're going to have to elaborate more on how this interest
of yours leads us to make changes in the documents we have or write new
ones. Keep in mind that if it can be expressed in a blog post, that's a
good place to start the discussion.