Re: Anti-extremism as a strategy (was: Google payment plans)

I've actually gone up against the "google wallet does it already" argument about 18(+) months ago.  Emailed the person making these statements and posed the question / statement made to Vint Cerf.  Vint was good in his reply, the person making the statements then got rather upset.

I wouldn't be so quick as to suggest anyone is a competitor, including google; at least not in the traditional way many people remember Microsoft I guess... Javascript wars, etc.

More broadly;
People still get taught HTML(5) in universities using w3schools to source info; for sites that must validate with the w3c validator; obviously, the proprietary extensions don't validate; yet examples shown to explain "what is possible", use those extensions (properly authored for each browser, etc.); but nonetheless, providing a good example of frustrations that will likely to be an on-going feature of the innovation and stability cycles exhibited throughout the web.

IMHO - Google is potentially a massive service provider, but also one highly involved in making open standards n such.  WebRTC comes to mind as an example, and an example of an app that's currently not working for them - google wallet.

Another good example in the rww space is GitHub.  A great alternative.

To get these standards working, we'll need a collaborative ideology, which of course, is what it's all about.

Challenging, certainly. But also purposeful. In a meaningful way.  Functionally, many things are impossible without standards that are vendor neutral.

Timh.

Sent from my iPad