Re: Google payment plans

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 17:12:04 +0200
To: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
On 10 April 2014 16:42, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>wrote:

> Microsoft recently set the license fee for Windows Phone to $0.
>
> That's what I in an off-list message meant with taking *extreme measures*.
>
> The W3C payment initiative requires a similarly unorthodox action to
> succeed
> otherwise it it will only get the same ill fate as WebID.

Reports of the demise of WebID are greatly exaggerated.

It's the most widely deployed identity system on the web.  Including some
of the FOAF cloud and also facebook graph.

It's only the TLS/X.509 portion (ie authentication) that still appears to
be a barrier.  But that has been more recently split off from the core
identity piece, which is simple and self contained.

I still view WebID as one of the most exciting technologies out there.
With some tweaking, it would be a great match for the identity piece of web
payments.  I will certainly be using it that way.