RE: Use Cases from the W3C Web Payments Workshop

I could be thinking of peer-to-peer in a narrow way, but to me remittance is peer-to-peer, just across borders. I think the remittance is an industry that stands and should stand to be disrupted more than P2P. If I'm hanging out with my friends and want to send them money (although many companies think splitting a check is sooo difficult and have created business models around this) it's not so hard now. I mean I think this should be a use case yes...

But what's increasingly more difficult (for time, expense reasons) is sending money to family, friends, businesses across the globe. I don't have as many options to send money then.

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles McCathie Nevile [mailto:chaals@yandex-team.ru]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:55 AM
To: Web Payments CG; Joseph Potvin
Subject: Re: Use Cases from the W3C Web Payments Workshop

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:35:07 +0200, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:

> RE: "in favour of the remittance use case"
>
> +1     For this reason I think "web payments" may not be the best
> title, since its nuance is on the purchase of goods/service/rights but
> does not notionally include remittances.  So far, however, I find that
> more comprehensive alternative titles are also more mundane.

Payment is giving money to someone.

But I agree that the "person to person" use case is probably the most important (rather than the one that can be left out for now).

Apart from anything else, it is normally pretty trivial to build a business payment system on top of one that works for transferring money between individuals. But the inverse is often not true - and specifically not true with most of the systems we have today.

cheers

Chaals

"This communication is intended solely for the addressee and is confidential and not for third party unauthorized distribution"