From W3C's eCommerce Interest Group of the 1990s to Today's Web Payments Discussion

Further to the wrap-up discussion about the creating on an Interest Group
http://www.w3.org/2013/10/payments/minutes/2014-03-25-wrapup/

Does anyone on these lists have the "two-decades view" of W3C
involvement with this topic?
http://www.w3.org/ECommerce/
http://www.w3.org/TR/EC-related-activities
http://www.w3.org/ECommerce/Micropayments/
http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-jepi

Three questions:

1. What happened to those original efforts towards a W3C Specification
on eCommerce that would have included specifications on web payments?

2. What should we learn from substance and fate of those earlier efforts?

3. Is there a need to "start" a new IG?  Or might the W3C eCommerce IG
just re-convene, update its charter, and carry on?

Joseph Potvin