Re: Web Payments and Identity

On 9/30/13 9:01 AM, eanders@pobox.com wrote:
> I would agree we need to separate authentication and identification
> from "Identity".  We need to tackle these 2 things separately.  I
> recommend they be in this order.
>
> 1) Authentication
>   - 3 factor at a minimum.  I wouldnt support anything less.
>      a. Something you know
>      b. Something you have
>      c. Something you are
>   - As an example, our next generation BUNITS
> (http://www.bloomberg.com/bunit/Overview_Features.pdf) provide up to 5
> factor authentication).
>     We have had these for 7+ years now and they get better every 1-2
> years.
>     With the advent of the iPhone5s with the finger print scanner I
> would guess it is possible to role these features into an iPhone5s app.
> 2) Identification
>    - No identification without authentication.
>    - Provide user approved access to 1 or more attributes about the user.
>      Example:
>      a) Age
>      b) Sex
>      c) Email address
>      d) Race
>      e) Passport Image and metadata
>      f) Drivers License Image and metadata
>      g) Home Address
>      h) Social Security Number
>      i) etc...
>    - All attributes are on a need-to-know basis.  You shouldnt get
> access to someones SSN just to buy some cough medicine.
>      Possibly a vendor authorization list of what attributes they are
> allowed to request access to?
>
> Erik

I understand the parts as follows:

1. Identity -- ethereal
2. Identifiers -- denote ("refer to" or name) ethereal identities e.g.,
an HTTP URI can denote an Agent (Person, Organization, Machine etc..)
3. Identity Document -- a document (various media forms associated with
respective media formats) comprised of Identity Claims ; typically
attribute=value pairs that coalesce around an identifier in the form of
an entity relationship graph
4. Authentication Protocol -- which works with Identity Document en
route to verifying its Identity Claims
5. Trust Web or Web of Trust -- a Network built upon items 1-4 above.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO