Re: Web Payments and Identity

hallo,

Just for clarity, what use case exactly is that they "desperately need"
that online identity for?

For the sake of background: I reckon the banks do not currently have
widespread federated authentication schemes because it is up to individual
bank-to-bank agreements to trust the KYC of the other bank and they need
rules about whose liability it is if the transaction goes wrong. Its that
or you route the transaction through some group with an already pre-agreed
set of rules like those in a card network (eg: VISA) or in some
cross-country scheme (eg: SEPA) and even for those some banks make their
own piece for the identity (eg: in SEPA the "customer related messaging" is
"strongly recommended" but not mandatory)

By the way, to add to the mix: one of the comments in SEPA is that it makes
sense that in some cases identity cannot be formulated in a cross-border
manner as there may be country-level regulations to add to the EU ones (eg:
data protection and retention policies in Germany)

So, back to the original bank question: are they proposing a specific
scenario where the issue is actually technical? or was this more the
"visible excuse" for the reality that they have other issues to solve
before getting to that common solution because a common identity still
requires trust?

PS: so that this is not just bank-bashing: I work with mobile operators and
the issues are more or less the same, more legal/process than tech, and
banks are even in a more advanced phase

---
ricardo

--
Ricardo Varela -  http://twitter.com/phobeo
"Though this be madness, yet there's method in 't"