Re: Tradehill Bitcoin exchange shut down for 2nd time in 2 years

On 10 September 2013 02:24, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 09/08/2013 10:14 PM, pindar wong wrote:
> > consensus by exhaustion.
> >
> > Not a technical issue, but I wonder what other 'civil code'-base
> > might be worth exploring...perhaps something in the EU/Asia?
>
> Anything that is far more lenient wrt. emerging technologies than the
> current US regulatory regime would be incredibly helpful. For instance,
> Canada has fairly sane regulations as does the UK.
>
> It would be interesting to see how Hong Kong's regulatory environment
> compares to the US, especially if it makes it possible for US companies
> to operate MSB services out of Hong Kong.
>
> Even if a US-based organization were to successfully operate out of Hong
> Kong, the MSB licenses would still be required to send or receive money
> from US customers. It's hard to ignore the US market.
>
> That said, anything that could give this group a base of operations for
> experimental financial services would be of huge benefit.

Bitcoin has a test network of coins that carry no value, but in other
aspects are almost identical to real bitcoins.  They can be good for
testing solutions without having as many regulatory issues.  The net can be
reset from time to time, but this happens once every few years, rather
than, every few months.