Re: The path forward for Web Payments

I've got two things to add

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 6:10 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>wrote:

> External Payment Initiation - We've been talking with a few
> organizations that do payments that would like a way to initiate a
> payment within the browser and then hand the transaction execution off
> to an external application. The general concept needs to be worked out,
> and we need to find editors for this specification. If we can get
> something together for this in the next 4 months, we stand a good chance
> at getting a first draft ready before the Web Payments WG is chartered.

This feature does *not* require any browser extensions, as a
locally-running "external application" would use the same protocols (JSONP,
probably) as an equivalent application
running elsewhere on the network.

> So, what did I miss or exclude that probably should be included? There
> is a lack of Bitcoin-related specs only because we haven't had anyone
> from the Bitcoin community step forward and propose a set of specs to
> take through W3C. The same applies for Ripple at this moment in time.
>
> Are there any specs that should be added? Should some be removed?
> Thoughts and general debate on the direction would be appreciated at
> this point. :)

Spot exchange rates at vendors and at intermediaries, in a way that treats
precious metal certificates and legal tender and non-legal-tender fungibles
in the same way. Ripple and Bitcoin are in the third category, so are Gift
Certificate and In-Store Credit Balances when transferrable.