Re: Web Identity draft spec released

On 11/25/2013 10:22 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 11/24/13 8:59 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>
>> 2. I would suggest having json ld as the only mandatory
>> serialization to be supported, but allowing other w3c RECs to be
>> returned, such as turtle
> It is important to note:
>
> 1. Turtle -- targets everyone 2. JSON-LD -- targets JSON developers.
>
> Identity is an issue for everyone i.e., programmers and
> non-programmers alike, so if there is going to be a default (not that
> I think there should) then Turtle is the natural candidate. Ideally,
> you should simply support Turtle and JSON-LD by default :-)

The downside with supporting two formats is that it makes
implementations more complex, and it makes integration far more difficult.

Our design goal w/ the PaySwarm stack is to support mechanisms for which
there is broad familiarity. The primary reason we're picking JSON-LD is
not because it's a Linked Data format, but because it's JSON and Web
developers understand JSON far better than they understand TURTLE.
Asking most Web developers to read in a TURTLE document and work with
the data is a very dodgy proposition. Asking them to read in a JSON
document and work with the data is better.

That said, there is no reason that an implementer couldn't also support
content negotiating for TURTLE. For the general case, however, it should
be the most popular data serialization format for Web developers, which
is JSON.

> History teaches us that format spats (however they manifest)
> ultimately detract from the big picture re. web-like (or webby)
> structured data representation -- that leverages HTTP URIs.

There's no spat :). PaySwarm has been using JSON-LD as the mandatory
serialization format for years now because most Web developers
understand JSON and are using it far more than any other data
serialization format for Web APIs.

http://blog.meritora.com/launch/