Re: Ripple

Thanks Evan. It's certainly an interesting "thing". Please permit me to
pursue the XRP a little further to be clear about what sort of thing it is.
Money has three essential use cases: (1) a medium of exchange, (2) a
unit ofaccount, (3) a standard
of deferred payment (requiring that it be a stable store of value). It
seems to me that XRP has only one defensible use case, which is to be a
hyper-efficient medium of exchange for web payments. I see no use case at
all for it being treated a unit of account (hence my quip about saying it
might as well be declared equal in value to a banana), and I see no use
case for it being treated as a store of value (also why I chose the banana,
which has a well-known short half-life).

Why is the XRP not designed to just appear and disappear as needed, like a
synthetic element in the periodic table. What's the use case for anyone or
for Ripple Labs to "hold" any XRPs?

Borrowing from someone else's thought: If XRP currently trades for ~100 XRP
per 1 USD then 50 billion XRP retained by Ripple Labs and its investors is
currently valued at 500 million USD in "goodwill". The only use case I can
think of for that is to make Ripple Labs and its investors really happy as
long as it lasts. I'm not against anyone making a bunch of money on
creativity and carrying risk, but that's a separate matter. Is there any
use case in that big stock of XRP from the perspective of the parties to
web payments?

Joseph Potvin

<http://goo.gl/Ssp56>