Re: MNDF_Project

Manu,

Regrettably, I'm behind. I have been amazed that the percentage
contribution for each package is given as well as the percentage
contribution is built in for npm. After interacting a bit with the
Sensorica project I have found that the Value Networks could be important
in conjunction with this. That way you could deal with all of the
complexities of reputation, role, accreditation, etc. But at the base level
I would guess it would be some percentage.

A friend of mine gave some thoughts about Debian in particular. Apparently
he was a bit big on trying things out before donating. :

"
Debian packages state their dependencies. Ubuntu uses the Synaptic package
manager to install its debian-style packages. Passing the -S flag to dpkg
will tell you which file belongs to which package. In Linux, you can find
what was typed to launch a process in the /proc virtual filesystem under
/proc/$PID/cmdline for a given process ID $PID. If the first argument isn't
a full path to a program, it should be a path relative to one of the full
paths listed in the $PATH environment variable, and you can also get the
environment out of the /proc filesystem. If it is a relative path, the
"which" program can tell you the absolute path, but since you have access
to the environment, you might as well just iterate through $PATH to find
it. Putting it all together, it should be possible to go from the process
ID of a process to the list of dependencies that the package that process
came from rely upon, and you can even get that information hierarchically
if you want it. It would be possible, then, I think, to go from a window on
your screen to the process ID of the program that created that window. So
in a rather rudimentary way, it should be possible write a program that
lets you click on a window and lists the packages involved in putting that
window on your screen. Then you could maybe have it go a step further and
let the user specify an amount to donate and have it divide it up among the
authors of those packages.

Wouldn't that be cool? If Ubuntu some day supported paying the people who
wrote the programs you use?
Then again, I mostly use my web browser, so..."

I also noticed that Dwolla was moving in the direction of gittip (or at
least it seems). I'm definitely going to have to do more with this. I seem
to be distracted by a former promise of writing up the broader picture.
Almost done. Thanks for taking the lead in the past week or so.

-Brent

--
Brent Shambaugh

I've worked with polymers, I teach chemistry, I'm currently researching how
to build distributed economies.
Website: http:// <http://bshambaugh.org/experiments/connect_dots3.html>
adistributedeconomy.blogspot.com