Re: A proposal for a decentralized, peer-reviewed academic journal system for the Web

On 01/20/2013 02:40 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> What sorts of pieces of information need to be added to a PaySwarm
>> identity to trust its use for academic publishing? Perhaps a list
>> of articles published by the identity? Review comments for all
>> other papers that have been reviewed by the identity? Areas of
>> research that other’s have certified that the identity is an expert
>> on? This is pretty basic Web-of-trust stuff, but it’s important to
>> understand that PaySwarm has this sort of stuff baked into the core
>> of the design.
>
> Perhaps an endorsement system can be handled using linked data to
> increase your web reputation.

Here's the list of things we have thought about including for PaySwarm
identities. It would be up to the customer to expose the information on
each of their identities.

PaySwarm Authorities could make these endorsements fairly easily:

* A bank account has been verified for the identity.
* A credit card has been verified for the identity.
* A mobile phone number has been verified for the identity.
* The identity has been continuously active for X months/years.

PaySwarm Authorities could make these endorsements fairly easily, but
we're concerned about the information being used to target particular
identities:

* The identity has done X $1+ transactions. The identity has done Y
  $10+ transactions. The identity has done Z $50+ transactions.

PaySwarm Authorities could make these endorsements, but we wary of the
human cost of implementing the feature:

* A mailing address has been verified for the identity.
* A government-issued ID has been verified for the identity.
* A drivers license has been verified for the identity.
* A voice/video recording has been verified for the identity and is
  kept on record.

> Maybe we can also pull in things like a bachelors degree or phd as
> part of the reputation.

That would be great - how would we verify the information other than
having professionals call a university to verify the information? It
could be that if you wanted this endorsement, you would submit $25 to
the PaySwarm Authority and the PA would hire somebody to make the call
to the university to verify the degree. Or, you would use an accredited
verification party and the verification party would digitally sign a
claim that you could tack on to your identity. It would look something
like this:

{
  "@context": [
    "http://purl.org/payswarm/v1",
    "http://purl.org/endorsement/v1"
  ],
  "id": "http://dev.payswarm.com/i/manu",
  "endorsement": [{
    "claim": {
      "type": "EducationLevel",
      "degree": "Bachelor's",
      "field": "Computer Science",
      "date": "2001",
      "university": "Virginia Tech",
      "locality": "Blacksburg",
      "state": "Virginia",
      "country": "US"
    },
    "signature": {
      "type": "GraphSignature2011",
      "creator": "http://endorsement.example.com/keys#key-5",
      "signatureValue": "OGQz3Q3OD...IyOWM32NjI="
    }
  },
  ...]
}

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Aaron Swartz, PaySwarm, and Academic Journals
http://manu.sporny.org/2013/payswarm-journals/