Re: Would it be useful to include web payments "data rights & responsibilities" in the standard

On 12/17/2013 06:50 AM, Renato Iannella wrote:
> [Note, I am Chair of the W3C ODRL Community Group]

Hi Renato, we meet again. :) Thanks for chiming in on this thread.

> Firstly, ODRL is a policy expression language (originally based on
> rights) and does not imply any enforcement mechanisms. We have
> recently published the ODRL Ontology [1] for greater support in the
> Semantic Web community.

We looked at ODRL a while ago and it seemed compatible w/ what we're
doing here. We didn't look into it much past there since it seemed like
ODRL would fit nicely w/ a number of the specs we're working on.

> ODRL is heavily based on identifiers, so if a financial Transaction
> id is used, then ODRL can express policy/rules about that "asset".

There are identifiers for assets (things being sold), listings (terms
under which things are sold), and transactions. ODRL could apply to each
of those fairly easily, IIRC.

> The ODRL community would be happy to look into examples for web
> payments.

We'd love to collaborate with the ODRL community on this, since that's
where a lot of this policy expression expertise lives.

blog: The Worlds First Web Payments Workshop
http://www.w3.org/2013/10/payments/