Re: Opentabs: Money without banks (50 min. video)

On 14 December 2013 19:06, Michiel B. de Jong
<anything@michielbdejong.com>wrote:

> On 01-Dec-13 2:40, Jeffrey Cliff wrote:
>
>> Watching this video felt like I had fallen into a bizarro universe
>> where Ripple was not invented.  Right down to the 'selfish betting
>> cycles' question at the end.  There seems to be a lot of reinventing
>> the wheel happening.
>>

> hi! sorry for the late reply, the reason for not mentioning Ripple during
> that forum was not because any of us is unaware of Ripple. :)
>
> Having said that, the Ripple i knew and researched while designing
> Opentabs was the decentralized one, I hadn't yet tried out the current
> commercial one. I did try to sign up for it just now, but unfortunately the
> only gateway where I could pay with a European bank account was
> justcoin.com, and they have a 25 euro minimum plus a 2,50 euro fee, which
> i found a bit too much for just a test account.
>
> Every system has its good and bad points, and although i guess Ripple has
> gotten some criticism for declaring themselves as the initial owner of all
> XRP, i think they're still a valid product.
>
> i think the main exciting point is that we now live in a world where
> everybody has in their home, or even in their pocket, a powerful computer
> with a secure network connection like the ones only big institutions like
> traditional banks could operate 40 years ago. that, for me, is enough to
> think that some great things will change in the next decade or so, in how
> we use money.
>
> there's enough room in the payment and banking space for decentralized
> systems like Bitcoin, Opentabs, OpenTransactions, PaySwarm, old Ripple,
> etcetera, as well as more commercial systems like current Ripple, m-pesa,
> paypal, creditcards, ATMs, etcetera.
>
> hope that makes sense; anyway, thanks for watching the video!

XRPs were freely given away to members of the ripple or bitcoin communities
that wanted them

However, ripple is free software so anyone can run the client or server, or
improve it.

Having worked full time on an opentabs implementation for 1-2 months I
think I have a reasonable grasp of some of the goals.  It does seem that
ripple would be quite a good match, and also has a largish community.