Re: Input needed: US Federal Reserve Payments Position Paper

I changed "It must be an open, patent and royalty-free standard;

to:

"It must be an open and royalty-free standard, without artificial
monopolies or oligopolies favoring particular suppliers."

For two reasons:

1. Today there are many defensive patents put in place to protect
free/libre/open computational ideas;
2. The are several types of artificial monopolies that operate like patents
to restrict competition -- e.g. the SCO case against Linux was in the
copyright realm. There are also a variety of government procurement
contract types that obstruct competition.

Joseph Potvin