Re: Input needed: US Federal Reserve Payments Position Paper

Having worked a decade from inside government (not the US), one of my
observations is that the substantive people at the manager and director
level within the system who very often strongly support open standards are
just as often looked upon as quaint by more senior folk who see everything
through a political lens. It's easy for the senior politicos to perceive
the pro-standards geeks as "off on their own thing" and "purists" -- unless
of course stakeholders "out there" state that we expect standards
compliance, not only as a general principle, but by name: this standard,
that guideline, this code of conduct.  Or to put it another way, the people
on the inside arguing that any new payments system should conform with open
standards could use our gentle but explicit help.

I don't expect the Fed is different than any other gov entity in this
aspect.

Joseph Potvin