Re: Web Payments Telecon Minutes for 2013-12-04

On 4 December 2013 20:41, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> [...]
>    version of this for payswarm
> Manu Sporny: https://payswarm.com/specs/source/web-identity/
> Manu Sporny:  it is it pretty specific, the way we're going to do
>    identities on the web is... you can have multiple identities, a
>    url associated with each one, you or orgs can read/write to that
>    URL (placed into that identity), validation of your citizenship
>    (US/canadian/chinese/whatever) can be digitally-signed and added
>    to your identity so you can have a mechanism for proving your
>    citizenship on the web
> Manu Sporny:  or other data, this is important for KYC for
>    banking
> Manu Sporny:  we're hoping this information can be used to very
>    easily do KYC online
> Manu Sporny:  security is also key, so access control lists are
>    important, creator of the identity is in ultimate control, you
>    give people right/revoke the privilege of others to read/write
>    specific piece of information
> Manu Sporny:  you could share your citizenship with your bank but
>    only your email address with some other website, etc.
> Manu Sporny:  you could give access to allow services to get the
>    latest version of your information
> Manu Sporny:  most of the pieces of information that are
>    important to validate you can associate a digital signature with
> Manu Sporny:  the gov't can associate DS with your citizenship
>    info
> Manu Sporny:  only gov't can then make that assertion
> Manu Sporny:  you can DS your own information so only you can
>    make that assertion
> Manu Sporny:  prevents forgery
> Manu Sporny:  so the spec is about how to store/show identity and
>    read/write info
> Manu Sporny:  one more thing, kingsley and some others who are
>    part of the RWW group that we're trying to collaborate with, and
>    there's another similar initiative called WebID at w3c that has
>    been going on for many years now, what we're proposing is similar
>    but has important differences, we've already done an analysis of
>    WebID and it seems like it's not something we could use very
>    easily
> Brent Shambaugh: So you can't use a WebID URI?
> Manu Sporny: You can use a WebID URL, but the information at that
>    URL and how you access that URL may not be quite aligned. It is
>    possible to have something that conforms to both the WebID and
>    Web Identity specifications.
> Joseph Potvin:  what's the criteria for putting something on the
>    mailing list vs. over at github?
> Manu Sporny:  we like to keep general discussions on the mailing
>    list, specific technical stuff that's nitpicky happens on the
>    github tracker. It's hard to differentiate one from the other
>    sometimes.
> Joseph Potvin:  can i point to github when writing to the mailing
>    list?
> Manu Sporny:  yeah that's good, technical details on github, high

Thanks for sharing some great minutes.  Regarding Identity.

>From what I can see the main difference between WebID and the draft
Payments Identity spec is:

1. WebID has mandatory serialization of Turtle, Payments Identity has
mandatory serialization of JSON LD.

2. The examples are slightly different, but this would seem not to be a
deal breaker.

I wonder whether Payments Identity could simply add support for Turtle,
then have a note referring to the WebID spec, so that JSON LD is also
supported and there are a bunch of examples?

Note I think that neither spec goes into the details of verified identity
(authentication) as that can be left to other documents.