Re: [Bitcoin-development] Sending Bitcoins using RSA keys

On 4/27/13 10:14 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 24 April 2013 16:46, Craig B Agricola <craig@theagricolas.org
> <mailto:craig@theagricolas.org>> wrote:
>
>     Maybe I'm missing something crucial, but what benefit does this
>     dance give over
>     the slightly more obvious mechanism of simply:
>     1) Alice generates a new address with her bitcoin client and sends
>     the BTC to
>        this new address
>     2) Alice exports the private key for that address (there is a well
>     supported
>        format for that)
>     3) Alice writes a nice email to Bob, including that exported
>     private key
>     4) Alice encrypts the email with Bob's public key using GPG and
>     sends it to him
>        by email
>     5) Bob decrypts the email
>     6) Bob imports the private key into his wallet
>

> Yes this works too.

This is exactly what S/MIME, an existing protocol facilitates right now.
A Certificate with a WebID in its SAN enables anyone get this going
without artificial dependencies on CA networks.

> However is it dependent on the bitcoin client address generation
> algorithm?
>
> I think what I'm trying to describe is something more akin to the way
> a shared secret is generated by TLS.
>
> Agree, that the wallet is also shared, ive not yet worked out a way to
> 'blind' one side of the wallet, but nor have a proved it's impossible,
> so still working onthat :)
>

>     There's no need for sending a whole wallet; just the one key is
>     needed.  Every
>     bit of infrastructure needed above already exists.  And of course,
>     the above
>     has the same issue as your proposal; this is a way for two
>     trusting parties to
>     send BTC without using the Bitcoin network, but it's not a payment
>     mechanism.
>     They now share control of an address; whoever spends that BTC
>     first wins, so
>     until Bob uses the Bitcoin network to spend that BTC to another
>     address that
>     only he controls, it's still in joint custody.  And if ensuring
>     that he has
>     control of the BTC is the last (implicit) step in the procedure
>     above, as well
>     as yours, then they might as well have simply used the Bitcoin
>     network to do
>     the transfer in the first place.
>
>     Did I miss the point entirely?
>

> Perhaps I've not described the problem statement as clearly as I
> could, I'll work on it.  Essentially it's an automated way to
> bootstrap the RSA key community together with bitcoin.  e.g. 99% of
> GPG users probably dont have a bitcion wallet or address or client.  I
> think maybe a user story will help.

Not just GPG, remember S/MIME too :-)

Anyway, best to spell out the problem in as simple a manner possible.
Then align with the solution you are trying to create which (in my eyes)
boils down to using standards based components that already exist.

Kingsley