Re: Ripple a scam?

On 27 April 2013 03:30, Clark Minor <clarkm@mit.edu> wrote:

> I agree -- right now, both bitcoin and ripple have features that are
> rather centralized. However, it is interesting to think about how these
> things might play out in the long term.
>
> For bitcoin, two aspects prone to centralization are exchanges and miners.
> Over the past few years, mining has become increasingly centralized, mostly
> as a consequence of increasing sophistication in both software and
> hardware. While the development of specialized hardware (ASICs) was
> certainly predicted, I don't think many people expected mining pools to
> become so prominent. Pool operators wield a tremendous amount of influence
> on the network, and having a pool with close to 50% of the hashrate is not
> ideal.
>
> While this trend toward centralization could continue forever, it probably
> won't. Several p2p mining pools have been proposed, and if widely-adopted
> will aid in decentralization. However, the specialized hardware could go
> either way, dependending on whether economies of scale are present. I
> suspect that once ASICs are widely available, they will be adopted by a
> large number of people willing to run them at a loss to help support the
> network. This will make large, centralized mining operations unprofitable,
> so the system will tend to decentralization. Though since the difficulty is
> always changing, I have no idea if this is a stable equilibrium, but I
> think it is.
>
> However, I see a bleaker future for exchanges. While MtGox is losing
> market share due to competition (it is down from over 80% in 2011), large
> exchanges will always be an important part of the bitcoin economy.
> Exchanges need market depth and trade volume to be useful (unless you're an
> arbitrageur), so the number of useful exchanges is limited.
>
> The problem of exchange centralization is what ripple solves. In bitcoin,
> records of BTC to USD are recorded by exchanges, who operate off the
> blockchain (you deposit money with them, and they match you with a
> buyer/seller). In the ripple network, all transactions -- not just BTC from
> account A to B -- are stored on a shared ledger. This means that price
> discovery occurs within the network, which is decentralized.
>
> Though whether this completely solves the decentralization problem, I'm
> not sure. In fact, I'm working on performing an independent evaluation of
> ripple, and this is one of the questions we're considering. So, if you have
> any suggestions for potential weaknesses in ripple that we should
> investigate, or concerns you think we should address in our paper, feel
> free to send me an email.

Decentralization is never black and white.  There's always elements of
centralization and elements of decentralization.

A specification or algorithm or protocol or example become compromised.

There's an old saying that when you build a decentralized system,
centralization always gets in through the back door.  Pe

Bitcoin was very well thought through by Satoshi to mitigate as many
central points of failure as possible.  The community also has impressive
contingency planning.

Miners would not be incentivized to vandalize the block chain, and they
seem a good bunch.  Perhaps a large entity could try and attack, but it's
potentially a criminal act.

Exchanges are kind of orthogonal to bitcoin, they can be disrupted
individually but the block chain would not be damaged, only bad PR.

Ripple seems to have far fewer nodes at this point, and partly that is to
do with having less incentive to run a server, partly the code is not
completely public.

I'm unsure the current ripple network will extend to become a massive
global realtime exchange with high volume, but it will have useful exchange
like properties.  It also remains to be seen whether the ledger is spam
resistant.