Re: SOPA/PIPA and this CG

Steven, I agree with you... more below.

On 01/14/2012 07:59 PM, Steven Rowat wrote:
> SOPA is a bad thing and should be killed; but the problems of the
> web that it fumblingly attempts to solve -- unfair distribution of
> money for intellectual property -- are, IMO, exactly what the
> web-payments group will solve if a level-playing-field model can be
> made to work for easy payment transfers.

Yes, but read the bits about added regulations for payment networks...
particulary bad for us are HR3261 sections 102(c)(2)(c):

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c112:1:./temp/~c112zzf15a:e11714:

That is, this would force payment networks to stop doing business with
any site /alleged to be infringing copyright/. Note that the burden of
proof is placed onto the payment network, not the plaintiff. That is,
all one must to do halt payments to someone else is allege that they are
infringing copyright and they get all of their funds frozen without the
case going to the courts at all. Very dangerous stuff.

> This leads the thought that the work of the group -- as evidenced by
> that stunningly productive and interesting discussion posted from the
> teleconference for January 13th -- is more important than a sideline
> to fight SOPA. If SOPA goes through of course it will be bad; but
> it's being fought by large corporate and NGO entities and even if it
> goes through it will be challenged in court. In other words, I think
> it's a red herring for this group. Sure, put up a page to show
> support. But don't spend much time on it. The real way to fight it is
> to just keep doing what you're doing, and and get a real functioning
> alternative in place.

I agree... good input, Steven. The page is done, just need to flip a
switch on Monday. I won't be spending any more time on this. :)

blog: PaySwarm vs. OpenTransact Shootout
http://manu.sporny.org/2011/web-payments-comparison/